Last update November 14, 2016
Here is how the discovery process works.
- The components that are required for discovery are deployed when you install UIM Server. See Discovery Probe Deployment for deployment considerations.
- If your installation includes secondary hubs, configure probeDiscovery queues so that messages with the probe_discovery subject reach the primary hub. See Configure Discovery Queues.
- You install UMP, which includes the Discovery Wizard.
- After you install UMP, the Discovery Wizard launches in USM and leads you through the process of configuring discovery. You will:
- Create authentication profiles.
- Define ranges of IP addresses and IP masks that define and bound the scope of discovery.
- Schedule discovery.
Note: If you don't want to create your inventory now or if you want to create it solely with file-based import, cancel the wizard. You can run discovery or import devices at any time.
To augment automated discovery, you can prepare an XML file with device information and can import this information into the device inventory. See Run File-based Import.
Note: If desired, you can create your inventory solely with file-based import.
- When discovery is complete, you can view computers and devices that have been discovered on your network. See View Discovered Systems.
You can schedule discovery to update the list of system components automatically in the Discovery Wizard in the Schedule tab.
Was this helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.