Upgrade the Oracle Database
Last update December 11, 2018
The APM database stores Introscope and CA CEM data. You must upgrade the schema if the existing deployment uses the APM database on Oracle. Perform the following tasks:
- Upgrade the APM Oracle database before other components using the Database Only installation option. Do this step for all upgrade paths.
- When the APM Oracle database is large, the upgrade takes longer to complete. Clean up the database, and schedule a maintenance window to upgrade the database.
- The rollback capability is not supported for the APM Oracle database. For more information, see Backup and Rollback During CA APM Upgrade.
Verify the Prerequisites for the APM Oracle Database
Before you upgrade the database, verify the following prerequisites:
- The computer meets or exceeds the system requirements.
- You reviewed the preparing for installation requirements.
You shut down all Enterprise Managers, and ensured that no process or user is connected to the database.
All APM services and component are shut down
No APM files or folders are in use by any running process
You copied your existing data. Use the backup and restore programs for your database.
For example, Oracle provides the following backup solutions:
- Database Configuration Assistant
Lets you configure the Oracle database for automatic backups
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control
Lets you schedule regular or on demand backups
- Oracle Recovery Manager Client
Lets you manage both backup and recovery operations
Important! If you do not back up your data, you risk data loss if the upgrade is unsuccessful.
Upgrade the Oracle Database
The Enterprise Manager installer automatically upgrades the APM database.
Follow these steps:
- Depending on your platform, locate and launch the Enterprise Manager installer using a *nix shell script or .exe for Windows. For more information, see Launch the Installer.
The Introduction screen opens.
- Click Next or press Enter to continue.
The CA End User License Agreement (EULA) screen displays.
- Accept the EULA, and click Next or press Enter to continue.
- In the Choose Install Set screen, click Database Only, and click Next or press Enter to continue.
- In the Choose Install Folder screen, specify the directory to install the database scripts, and click Next or press Enter to continue:
In the Choose APM Database screen, select Oracle, and click Next.
In the APM Database Setting screen, provide the following information, and click Next:
- Database Host:
Specifies the Host on which the database is running.
- Database Port:
Specifies the Port at which the existing database server is running.
- Database Service Name:
Specifies the Oracle system identifier (SID), which is the unique name of the database instance. The database instance must exist for the connection to be successful.
- Database Username:
Specifies the database username that owns the APM database schema. This user must exist as a valid database user in the database instance specified.
- Database Password:
Specifies the password for the database user that owns the APM database schema.
The Database Configuration Summary screen displays.
- Review the database configuration summary and click Install.
- Click Done or press Enter to exit the installer when the upgrade is complete.
The upgrade is complete.
- (Optional) If you encounter issues, review the schema and installation log files.
Default log directories:
C:\Program Files\CA APM\Introscope<version>\install\schematools.log
C:\Program Files\CA APM\Introscope<version>\install\Introscope_<version>_InstallLog.log
Was this helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.